Don’t really feel like reading? Scroll down for my YouTube video of my mid-week wash and first impression featuring these products.
I discovered Soapbox Soaps at the NONHE 2018. Actually_Ashly (one of my favorite beauty vloggers) was working their booth and she suggested trying the Bamboo products for strengthening my hair since I told her about my shedding issues.
What I love about the company is that it practices both community service and sustainability.
Community Service: For each Soapbox Soaps product purchased, a bar of soap is donated to someone in need. So far, their efforts have impacted over 3 million lives across 50 countries.
Sustainability: The soap bars they donate are made from recycled bars from hotels and other establishments. They shave down, sanitize, and reform the soap into brand new soap bars.
Read about all of their philanthropy here.
The Bamboo Strength & Body Shampoo and Conditioner both retail for $7.50 each for 16oz bottles. The bamboo extract in them is supposed to strengthen the hair by helping the elasticity of strands and locking in moisture.
Before: My hair was ready for a mid-week wash without my weekly deep-conditioner. I’ve been working out a lot lately, and my scalp builds up from sweat.
After: There was definitely some added bounce and my scalp felt refreshed, but my hair wasn’t as detangled as I’d hoped.
- Both the shampoo & conditioner have sulfate and alcohol-based ingredients which are typically drying to my hair, and not enough of the natural oils and extracts.
- After my hair completely dried, I did experience a tad bit more shedding than usual when raking my styling products through my hair
- The products weren’t too good for detangling. Initially, I felt there was decent slip (as mentioned in my YouTube video), but when I went to style my hair after the video, I noticed a lot more leftover knots.
- I’m a sucker for any products that smell amazing, and these Soapbox products smell sooo fresh and clean!
- I don’t care for shampoos and conditioners that are runny and hard to apply. These products both have an ultra-thick consistency that felt great and was easy to handle. The shampoo also had a beautiful lather!
- My hair was so bouncy after using these products! Typically, I have to wait until Day 2 or 3 hair to get some really good volume, but this shampoo and conditioner had my Day 1 curls popping.
- The amount of product you get for the price is awesome. For $7.50, it’s sometimes hard to find products for natural hair that are at least 8oz, so the price for ounce for these 16oz bottles is impressive.
The Bamboo Strength & Body Shampoo and Conditioner set gets a solid 7 out of 10 for a product that cleanses and adds volume to curls. It’s is a good pick for a mid-week cleanse, but due to how alcohol reacts with my hair, I personally wouldn’t use it for every mid-week refresher I may need. I think it may work even better for those with a finer grade of hair. It will stay in my closet to alternate with my other mid-week wash products.
Have you tried these products before? Think you may give ‘em a shot? Do you have any “go-to” mid-week wash products that you love to use? Let me know below!